Monday, October 27, 2014

Tech Tip: Backing Up and Syncing Documents

SyncToy logo
There are many golden gems on Microsoft’s web site, like SyncToy, which is a free application that allows the user to sync files and folders between two places. I use it on both my thumb drive and my primary computer to save time by automatically syncing my files for me when I decide to work on my laptop or on any other computer. It also works as a backup. There’s another bonus: it’s absolutely free to download at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155!

This "little" program has saved me so much time & frustration. I use three or four computers in different locations; however, I need access to the same set of files for each location. Unfortunately, not all of the computers have stable Internet services (or any Internet); therefore, I can place my files on my thumb drive and just “sync” it when I get back to my primary workstation. According to the system requirements listed on SyncToy, this application is compatible with Windows 7, Windows Vista and XP.

Other options for backing up assignments and documents can be to email yourself the assignment or sign up for one of many web synchronization (and/or file sharing) software programs such as http://www.google.com/drive/index.html or https://www.dropbox.com/.  Google Drive and Dropbox are cloud storage services that allow you to access them via a browser, app or designated folder. Currently, Google Drive offers 15 GB of free cloud storage and Dropbox offers 2 GB.

No comments:

Post a Comment